This fall the Campus Edge board has been working to understand how we might better respond to the challenges that graduate and professional students experience. Campus Edge students identified the following as the most significant challenges:
- Stress and/or lack of time;
- Work/life balance (and “grad student guilt”);
- Lack of clarity with regard to expectations and progress;
- Mental health issues;
- Difficult (or unhealthy) relationship with adviser and/or department/program;
- Financial (and other socioeconomic) challenges;
- Spiritual questions/challenges;
- Loneliness and lack of support;
- Difficulty in finding a job (after graduating).
A recent article in Inside Higher Education notes that, according to a recent survey of graduate students, “mental health, bullyiing, and career uncertainty” are the top challenges facing graduate students today.